What does it mean to have a red itchy eyebrows? Dry skin is among the major causes of this condition. Other causes will include psoriasis, eczema and shingles, all this are skin disorder that might lead up to this condition. Read through to have an insight on the available treatment and home remedies for itchy eyebrows.
A cording to American Academy of dermatology, an itch also known as pruritus, is defined as an irritation or uncontrolled urged to scratch the skin to relieve a feeling. A skin itching might be caused by an internal illness to skin rash to allergy to dermatitis. Contact dermatitis is when your skin responds to an external allergen.
Most of the skin rash and more so itching are not harmful. The condition can clear up on its own after a week or two with no medication. When the rash is accompanied by inflammation then it may call for a need to have it treated. The other common reason a rash will want to be treated is if it is highly contagious like the case of shingles.
Topical ointment and emollient can be used to relieve the skin of the itching. In cases of inflammation and swelling cortisone injection maybe prescribed. Other treatment will include natural remedies such as an ice pack compress or applying aloe Vera gel to relieve the itching and inflammation. Seek medical attention when symptoms persist.
What Does Itchy Eyebrows Mean? – Superstition
Apart from the common cause described above, different people hold different superstition about having an itchy on face. Itching in that case is then thought to be a manifestation on human body connected to with omen and fortunes.
The following are some common superstition about itching:
- When you have An itchy crown on head it is believed you will have an advance position
- Having an itchy eyebrows signals a possible meeting with an old friend
- An itchy inside of nose signals you will meet trouble meeting with a fool in the near future.
- An itchy outside nose signal the possibility of getting annoyed, kissed or
- Having an itchy left cheek means someone if speaking poorly about you
- An itchy right cheek someone is speaking well of you
- An itchy left eye or eyebrow signal the possibility of great disappointment
- Having an itchy stomach indicates the possibility of someone giving you food.
It is important to note that these are just superstition. The accuracy or the truth in them is bond by belief and not by medical truth. An itchy rash can be an n indication of a serious underlying medical condition, you need to seek medical attention to have the problem diagnosed.
We are not bashing the possibility of the superstition being true. What we are saying is that, the result might be different from person to person. Other rash maybe contagious so there is a possibility of you having an itching eye or eyebrow which means absolutely nothing.
What Causes Itchy Eyebrows?
The following are the possible causes of itchy eyebrows. It is important to note that the causes will vary from person to person. The diagnosis provided cannot be substituted for that of a professional health care provider.
1. Itchy Eyebrows Diabetes
According to a publication by right diagnosis dot com, there exist high relation between diabetes and itchy skin. This is also true to those people with family history of the condition. Diabetes is a metabolic disease in which the body is unable to produce any or enough insulin (a hormone that control blood sugar level) which causes increased level of blood sugar.
Diabetes is a chronic condition, immediate medical attention should be taken. Symptoms to lool out for are:
- Increased urine output for both adults and kids
- Itchy skin rash, can be on the face, arms, legs or throughout the body
- General body fatigue
- Wounds may take long to heal or clot
- May encourage yeast and bacterial infection in folding parts of the body.
- Unexplained weight loss
- You may get hungry time to time
- Part of the skin may feel numb and tingling
There are two type of diabetes, type 1 which cannot be prevented and type 2 which can be prevented by maintaining healthy body weight and regular excessing.
2. Eczema on Eyebrows
The most common form of eczema is atopic dermatitis, it is a medical condition that involves patches of skin becoming rough, inflamed and swollen. The rash may also be accompanied by itchy blisters that may itch at times.
The main cause of eczema is a skin reaction to an irritation. This is called eczematous dermatitis. Eczema can also happen without having and obvious external reason. Topical ointment such as anti-itching and anti-inflammatory creams and gel can be used to relieve the skin of the symptoms of eczema. Seek medical attention is the rash become too itchy or painful. You can also do so if the swelling become unbearable.
3. Psoriasis under Eyebrow Skin
Psoriasis is a medical skid condition marked by red, itchy, scaly patches. It is a common cause of rash in both adults and children. Triggers of the condition include, injury to the skin, bug bites and severe sunburns. General stress can also trigger the condition. Other will include smoking, cold weather and heavy alcohol consumption.
The cause of psoriasis is not fully known, it is however thought to be related to immune system complication. This is a condition known as auto immune disorder where the immune system produces antibody that view normal and healthy body cells as foreign.
4. Eyebrow Itchy After Waxing, Threading or Plucking
We all strive to look good and attractive. Waxing, threading and plucking the eyebrow hair is one of those means are what most women take. If not done correctly it could lead to damaging the hair follicles. It could also lead to blocking the sebaceous pore leading to formation of itchy painful bumps. When the bumps are felt beneath the skin, they are called blind pimples.
Ingrown hair on the eyebrows is also another common cause of pain and itching. The cosmetic products used for waxing can also become reactive to your skin- contact dermatitis.
The itching is harmless and in most cases it will heal on its own without medical attention given. Topical anti-itching and anti-inflammatory creams can also help relieve the itching. It is also important to have the process done by a profession.
5. Eyebrows Piercing
Having your eyebrows pieced can be beautifying, but you need to take in mind the possibilities of what could happen if not done with clean tools or in the right manner. Using a piercing jewelry made of nickel can be allergic to most people’s skin.
This allergy will be shown by the following symptoms:
- The eyebrow will start to swell and fell painful
- A rash develops around the eyebrow
- The rash may spread to the adjacent parts of face
- Skin becomes warm
- Small itchy blister may form around the jewelry
If the cause of itching is this kind of allergy, then your doctor will prescribe steroid cream or any drug that works to boost the immune system. For mild symptom, you can apply antihistamine or hydrocortisone cream.
6. Dry skin itchy eyebrows
Having a dry skin is closely related to dandruff. The condition is common in scalp but can also affect the eyebrows or skin tissues in any oily part of the body. Having dry skin causes the skin to become slightly red and itchy.
The common cause of dry skin in many people are continues us of hash soaps, skin moisturizers and long hot showers. Medication and other condition such as diabetes, psoriasis and malnutrition can all cause dry skin
7. Rosacea on Eyebrows
Rosacea is the other possible cause of itching on eyebrow. This is a medical disorder where the facial blood vessels become enlarged. This will cause inflammation and swelling of the face. Other symptoms of the condition are:
- The face becomes red
- Some people will experience eye problems
- The nose may become enlarge and painful
- Itchy swollen red bumps on face
The cause of this condition is not known. It is however believed to be caused by a combination of hereditary and environmental factors. Some factor that will aggravate the condition include heavy alcohol consumption, eating a lot of food spices, cases of extreme temperature, heavy exercise and strong cosmetic product.
8. Shingles on face
This is a painful contagious rash caused by viral infection. It is caused by varicella virus, this is the same virus that causes chicken pox. The contradiction between the two is that, whereas shingles can recur, chicken pox cannot. Once infected, the body creates an antibody that will prevent future attack of the condition. You become immune to the virus.
9. Contact dermatitis
This explains an itchy rash caused when external substance comes in contact with the skin. The rash is not contagious. It is not life threatening either. It can clear on its own with time. Topical ointment such as anti-itching creams can be used to relieve the skin of the itching. Avoid future contact with the reacting substance and if the rash and itching fails to go away, please seek medical attention.
10. Auto-immune disorder
Your body may start to attack healthy body tissues and cells. This happen when T-cells become overactive and produces excess antibodies that view normal and healthy cell as foreign. The condition can be more severe in people with HIV/AIDS, those with diabetes and those taking cancer medication.
Gluten rash which is an allergic condition. The rash can be itchy, and accompanied by small raised bumps. Avoiding gluten food such as barley can help prevent this rash. Seek medical attention for more about this.
Try to reduce the condition by:
- Avoid smoking
- Exercise regularly
- Reduce stress
- Maintain a balance diet
- Eat a lot of fresh fruits
- Vitamin supplements can also be used.
a) Other causes
Other possible cause of itchy eyebrows will include the following:
- Eye infection
- Neuropathy, this is the dysfunction of peripheral nerves causing numbness and weakness
- Skin parasites
Red Itchy Eyebrows
A rash on eyebrow causes change in appearance and texture. When the part of your skin contacts a rash, it may change the color to red or into white patches. The skin may also become painful and itchy. Depending with what is causing the rash, small raised bumps may also appear.
A rash is a common skin disorder that cause the skin to itch. Most are not cause to worried or seek immediate medical attention. A rash can be treated effectively at home with no medication required. What you need to ensure is that the affected area of the skin is clean and free form external allergens. For rash caused by contact dermatitis.
Dry Flaky Itchy Eyebrow Skin
Apart from different superstition’s held by people, a dry flaky skin on eyebrows can be caused by a number of condition. The condition can be cause by different cosmetic process and hair removal technique. Waxing and threading your eyebrow can cause the damage of the hair follicles.
Allergy from cosmetic products such as foundation make up and skin moisturizers can aslo cause this kind of condition. This is called contact dermatitis. Virus and bacterial can also cause your skin dry flacky and itchy. Contagious skin such as shingles and psoriasis are the main culprits.
Dry flaky skin can be itchy and cause a lot of discomfort. That should not worry you. You can apply topical ointment available over-the-counter. Anti-itching and anti-inflammatory creams can be used to relive the skin of the itching and burning sensation.
Itchy Eyebrows Hair Loss
Eyebrows are what helps in keeping your face attractive and makes you look more appealing. Now imagine having no hair on your eyebrows! No longer looking attractive right. A common practice is to draw a line with an eye pencil. But what are these condition that can make you lose the eyebrow hair?
Apart from shaving off the hair, different skin condition may contribute to you losing the hair. Chronic skin condition are to blame for this. The following are some of these condition:
- Skin disorder, chronic skin condition such as psoriasis, eczema and shingle can cause inflammation and skin irritation which can lead to the hair follicles falling out. Seborrheic dermatitis also known as dandruff can affect facial hair leading to hair loss.
- Auto immune disorders such as vitiligo which cause patchy skin pigmentation can lead to hair loss. An auto immune disorder happens when your immune system mounts an attack on active and healthy body cells and tissue.
- Alopecia areata according to the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and skin Disease, is the main cause loss among 2 percent of Americans. This is a special auto immune condition that mounts an attack on hair follicles leading to hair loss.
- Fungal infection can not only happen on the scalp but also on the eyebrows. This is a coding to the U.S National Institute of Health. Unless treatment is used to eliminate the fungus, then it could lead to temporal hair loss.
Itchy Eyebrow, Forehead, Eyelashes and Scalp
Itchy eyebrow is a common but harmless condition. It is caused by a skin rash which is a disorder of how the skin appears, feels and looks. The skin may become inflamed, swollen, burning sensation and a constant urge to scratch. Depending with what is causing the rash, an itchy eyebrow will heal on its own with no medical attention required.
Some rash may be contagious and thus can be transmitted from person to person through close physical contact. The common causes of itching on eyebrows, forehead, eyelashes and scalp are the following:
- Fungal infection ringworm
- Contact dermatitis
- Virus infection shingles
- Allergic reaction to foods
- Drug allergy
- Eczema or atopic dermatitis
Treatment, Cure or Relief for Itchy Eyebrows
Treatment for itchy eyebrows will depend on what the underlying cause is. For those caused by external allergens such reaction to soap and cosmetic product, the best way will be to discontinue the use of these product.
Those with weak immune system form condition such as HIV/AIDS, those with diabetes and those on cancer medication (chemotherapy) should not take any over-the-counter medication. Pregnant women should also seek immediate medical attention if they notice rash that fails to heal on its own for more than a week.
Treatment will include topical ointment such as anti-itching creams and anti-inflammatories. Topical emollients can also be used to soothe the face and keep it moisturized to prevent the itching and cracking. Oral antibiotics may also be used for fungal infection.
Under each of the cause of itchy eyebrow above, we have provided the available treatment for the said cause.
Home Remedies to Get Rid Of Itchy Eyebrows
As we have seen above an itching on eyebrow is not a life threatening medical emergency most of the symptoms (itching, pain, urge to scratch, skin patches and cracking) can be handled at home. Simple natural home remedies can be used to relieve the skin of the itching and pain.
The following are the home remedies for itchy eyebrows:
- Olive oil for itchy eyebrow can be a great skin moisturizer, it can facilitate healing and promote skin renewals incases of peeling skin on eyebrows.
- Apple cider vinegar is an excellent home remedy for treating faces rashes and calm the itching. It contains acetic acid that will help fight infection that could be causing or aggravating the problem.
- Cold compress twice a day help relieve the pain and itching by reducing the swelling and inflammation and swelling.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel on the itchy eyebrow twice a day for a week. It is a great anti-itching and anti-fungal agent. It will help relieve the skin of the itching and pain caused by dry skin and fungal infection.
- Oatmeal face wash will help alleviate skin irritation and inflammation causing itching. It is a strong soothing agent for rash caused by psoriasis, eczema (atopic dermatitis) and allergies.
- Baking soda paste on face will help keep the skin dry. It is a strong anti-itching and anti-inflammatory agent. A more effective paste can be made by mixing baking soda with coconut oil in place of water.
- Itchy superstition: http://inpurespirit.com/191/the-meaning-of-itches-and-their-omens/
- Itchy eyebrow cause and treatment: http://www.healthline.com/health/itchy-eyebrows
- jitchy eyebrow and superstition: http://www.getbestadvice.com/makeup/eyebrow/itchy-eyebrows-meaning-superstitions-and-cause-of-dry-flaky-red-itchy-eyebrows/
- Home remedy for itchy eyebrow: http://www.top10homeremedies.com/home-remedies/home-remedies-rashes.html